The kitchen truly is the heart of the home. That’s why when it’s time to sell your house, staging your kitchen properly can make a positive impression on potential buyers.
The goal is to make your kitchen look spacious, clean, and inviting.
Here are some tips for staging your kitchen to look its best:
Step 1: DECLUTTER
Decluttering your kitchen will help buyers to see your kitchen as spacious. They want to make sure there is enough room in cabinets and countertops.
Here are key places to declutter:
- Pantry. Place pantry and food items in attractive bins. By grouping loose items together you give the impression that there is plenty of space.
- Countertops. Remove all but 1 or 2 small appliances such as mixers and coffee makers from counter tops and relocate them to your pantry or inside the cabinets. Be sure to put away knife blocks. Not only are they clunky, but some cultures look at knives as unlucky.
- Drawers and cabinets. Place seasonal or rarely used dishes, utensils, and pans away in storage. Organize and clean your cabinets. You don’t want them to look overstuffed and untidy.
- Bulk heads and space above cabinets. Don’t make people think about the dust that could collect up there. You want the space to feel airy, open and clean.
- Dishes. Never leave dirty dishes in the sink. Put away clean dishes. Remove the dish drying rack from the counter. Tuck all dish soap and sponges away from sight.
- Fridge. Take all the magnets, calendars, and other items off the fridge. Clean the front and the inside of the fridge. Consider throwing away old, unneeded food items so the fridge looks spacious.
Step 2: CLEAN
Buyers love a sparkling clean kitchen that smells fresh. Scrub, polish, and dust everything from top to bottom.
Here are some reminders for things to clean:
- Appliances. Potential buyers will open your appliances, especially if they are being sold with the house. Having an immaculately clean fridge and range makes buyers feel like you took time to clean and maintain the kitchen. Pull off the stove knobs and polish them too.
- Scent. Be sure the kitchen smells tidy and fresh. An air purifier can help remove unwanted stale odors and bacteria from the air leaving the kitchen smelling clean.
- Sinks. Make that stainless steel sink & faucet shine like new. Norwex is an awesome environmentally friendly cleaning paste that will clean absolutely anything like new.
- Sink cabinet. Nearly every buyer will peak under the sink to make sure it’s clean and neat. Keep this area looking spacious and uncluttered. Remove all items except for a few essential things. Put in new cabinet liners.
- Extras. Scrub baseboards, cabinet faces, inside cabinets, and on top of them too. Sweep and wipe down the corners.
Step 3: DECORATE
The trick with decorating a kitchen is to help them see the space as a light, bright, warm and inviting, without feeling cluttered.
Here are some tips to showcase your space as stylish and modern:
- Cabinet knobs. If the kitchen is dated and you don’t have time for a makeover, try changing the old brass knobs for some nice brushed chrome pulls or new knobs.
- Lighting. Change out the dated lighting fixtures for some new track lighting. Rona, Lowes, and Home Depot have great pricing for easy change outs.
- Backsplash. Adding a new back splash can instantly update a kitchen and give you a huge return on investment.
- Decorative accents. Don’t overdo the “Staging” in a kitchen, a few well-placed accents with pops of colour is all you need. For example an accent rug, artwork, or a utensil holder can add splashes of colour. Adding a bowl of fruit, flowers, plant, or wine on counter can make the space feel warm and inviting. Don’t forget to change the flowers regularly so they look fresh.
- Air fresheners. Overwhelming scents can be a turn off for buyers. If you use an air freshener, I recommend a clean, neutral scent.
- Curtains. If you have heavy curtains, consider replacing with a window accent that lets in the light.
- Paint. Give your kitchen a fresh coat of neutral paint. This brightens the kitchen, updates it, and makes it look more attractive.
Staging your kitchen is easy! It’s as simple as declutter, clean, and decorate. Follow these kitchen staging tips and tricks and you’ll be on your way to getting top dollar for your home sale!
If you’re too overwhelmed and busy to stage your kitchen for ideal showings and live in the Calgary Alberta area, feel free to give us a call.