Are you ready to step up the style in your home?
When diving into a design project, there’s a lot more to consider than just picking the right paint colour.
In addition to having a good sense for colour, pattern, and scale, there are some design basics to keep in mind.
As a designer, I have seen some home owners make pretty big mistakes so here’s seven design faux pas you’ll want to avoid when decorating a room:
- Forgetting Comfort – When selecting furniture for a room, don’t forget that it has to be a space that you will live in too. Comfort and durability are key when selecting a piece. If it’s a heavy traffic room that will have kids, dogs, and a lot of use, get fabrics that can be easily cleaned. Try sitting on the piece in the store. A great piece is something that not only looks great, but functions well too!
- Not Trying a Paint Colour Out First – There’s nothing worse than spending hours painting a room to find out that it’s not the shade you were hoping for. In-store lighting is the worst to determine what a paint colour looks like. Instead, buy 2 or 3 paint samples you like. Paint a few squares on a wall at home. With a bigger sample of the paints on the wall displayed in the lighting of your home it will be easier to select a colour you love.
- Hanging Art Pieces without a Plan – If you are creating a grouping of wall art, lay it out first on the floor to see how it will all fit together before hanging it up. Also refrain from hanging art too high. As a general rule use the rule of thirds. Hang art about 2/3 the way up the wall. Also take into account if it’s a room where people are generally standing or sitting so you can hang it at the height it is likely to be viewed most at.
- Fuzzy Contoured Toilet Rugs – These contoured toilet rugs and matching lid covers may have been the rage a few years back, but today are considered outdated. Instead, choose a rectangular shaped bath rug to set in front of the toilet. When selecting a bath rug, look for one that is washable so it can be cleaned regularly.
- Buying Something Too Trendy – While having this year’s latest fashion might be flashy, it also puts you at risk of being out of date soon. Select themes and styles that you will enjoy living with for many years to come.
- Skipping Window Treatments – When decorating a room, don’t forget to add window treatments. They add colour, style, and texture to a room. With so many styles to choose from (valances, drapes, curtains, and blinds) there’s something to add the right wow factor to your space.
- A Bare Foyer – The foyer is the first thing you see when someone steps into your home. That’s why it’s so important to make this space feel welcoming. Start this space off right with a carpet or runner. Next add a furniture piece like a bench or hall table. Then give it a flourish with an art display, mirror, or plant.
Hope these tips help you steer clear of these decorating dilemmas.
Wishing you inspiration for your next design project!
Do you have any design mistakes you wish you hadn’t made? Leave a comment below!