They say the kitchen is the heart of the home. It’s a place to enjoy good food with family and friends.
It’s also one of the busiest rooms in the home.
That’s why when a kitchen is cramped or outdated it can really cause a lot of frustration. We have all been to a family holiday where all the women in the family are bumping elbows trying to hustle and work together to prepare the meal.
The good news is that a kitchen redesign can help you create the perfect space for your family.
Here’s 7 tips for a well-designed kitchen for your home:
- Improve Function. A kitchen that worked for your family a few years ago might not work for your family today. Or perhaps you’ve moved into a home where they kitchen just doesn’t work right for you.
The most important principle of kitchen design is the triangle: The sink, stove, and refrigerator are the three greatest areas of activity in the kitchen. It’s critically important to keep a path that is quick, direct, and without obstacles to and from these locations.
- Add Storage. A good plan puts everything you need at your fingertips, exactly where you need it.
Over time a family accumulates more tools, gadgets, appliances, and pans. It’s important to have the right spaces to store heavily used items where they are handy.
This is where a kitchen designer can help. They can see where your biggest storage needs are and design handy spaces to hold these items. This creates a space for everything and you can keep everything in its place.
Plus a designer can add in some spaces to tuck away those “less used” items for big family holiday meals.
- Install Convenience. Today there are so many ways to modernize your kitchen for the way you live.
Wine aficionados can add a wine fridge. Families with children can place a microwave in the island where it’s easy to each. Women who bake and entertain a lot can install double ovens.
The sky is the limit for design options to make your life easier!
- Rev up the counter space. There’s nothing worse than a kitchen that lacks counter space.
You need areas to perform tasks such as prep stations, a coffee area, a place to set groceries when you walk in. You’ll need counter space near the fridge and the oven.
Make sure there is adequate space by the kitchen sink for dishes and food prep. Adding an island can add more work space as well.
- Make outlets accessible. In today’s world of coffee makers, toaster ovens and juicers it’s nice to have easy access to an outlet.
One great part of redesigning your kitchen is you can add electrical outlets where you need them. Make sure outlets are available wherever you would plug in small appliances.
- Create a desktop space. A built-in desk supports a busy family’s planning needs.
It provides a place to put the mail, keys, bills and calendar. Adding a cork board or chalkboard can add some extra functionality for family notices and reminders.
- Don’t skimp on cheap cabinets. You need cabinets with a solid finish that will hold up to being cleaned. Plus you need solid hinges that hold up to the wear and tear of opening/closing cabinet doors.
It’s worth investing in solid cabinetry that will stand the test of time.
Get ideas from the pros! Consulting with a professional designer can help you plan a space that meets your needs. They can look at the needs of your family and design a room that fits your lifestyle and tastes.
You wouldn’t want to spend thousands of dollars on a new kitchen only to find out you made a mistake. A pro can ensure that your dream kitchen becomes a reality. If you live in the Calgary area, give us a call for a design or renovation consultation!