One of the easiest ways to change the feeling of a room is with a new coat of paint.
But with all the choices available, it’s easy to feel overwhelmed with all the different types of paints available at the home improvement store. Do you select matte, flat, eggshell, satin, semi-gloss, or high gloss?
Generally, the more sheen a paint has, the more durable, shiny, and washable it is.
Here’s some tips to help you determine the right finish of paint for your needs.
Matte or Flat paint is a good choice for low-traffic areas like interior walls and ceilings. This paint finish has a flat, non-reflective finish.
It’s also a good choice for hiding minor surface imperfections like bumps or cracks. It’s ideal for use on new drywall for new construction; however, matte or flat paint needs very careful treatment when you are washing it. It’s important to clean matte surfaces with soft materials and gentle solutions so you don’t damage the paint.
Eggshell has a slight hint of shine to it. This finish resists dirt and grime as well as mildew. It’s good at hiding imperfections and is more washable than a matte finish. It’s a good selection for interior walls.
Satin has a bit more glossy shine than eggshell. It’s well suited for high traffic areas such as kitchens, bathrooms, laundry rooms or children’s bedrooms. It will allow for light scrubbing.
Semi-Gloss features a lot of sheen and is highly resistant to mildew, moisture and wear. This makes it a smart choice for any surface that will require a lot of scrubbing. It also holds up well to moisture, making it a great choice for kitchen or bathrooms.
Glossy has the highest amount of sheen and is the most durable finish. This sheen is an excellent choice for trim, woodwork, molding, doors, and cabinets.
Choosing The Right Paint Sheen By Room:
- Kitchen: Semi-gloss for kitchen walls is durable and easy to clean. Gloss is a great choice for kitchen cabinets.
- Dining Room: Eggshell will cover any “dings” from chairs bumping up against the walls.
- Family Room/Living Room: Satin will handle the high traffic of the busiest room in the home. Satin finishes are easy to wipe clean and very durable.
- Bedroom: Eggshell works nicely for bedrooms. It holds up well and with a hint of shine. Eggshell has a stylish look to it.
- Bathroom: Satin is best for bathroom walls while semi-gloss works nicely for trim.
Ready to Tackle Your Next Painting Project?
Hope these tips make it easy for you to choose the right sheen for your room based on the level of activity in the room and how washable that finish is. Happy painting!